Sweet Spring Sausage & Vegetable Pasta
Just last week, when I heard about a July Madness blogging program put on by a local team of fitness bloggers I couldn’t help but invite body transformation specialist Mike to provide a healthy meal recipe for our readers to have a nice home cooking change option if your not visiting your local restaurant. Sprouts market is one of my 2 go to grocery stores. Their exceptional deals on high quality and fresh produce always keep me coming back, they also have the best bulk section around for grains, nuts, beans, and dried fruits. Seriously, one of my favourite grocery stores. And did I mention the great deals on produce? Like 4 small cartons of fresh blueberries for $5, or 2 large bunches of asparagus for I think $3 a few weeks ago. Plus their kale is always just around $1 per bunch. Great low prices to begin, plus crazy deals.
Ok, on to True Story. They recently released their line of lunch meats, sausages, and hot dogs and sell them at Sprouts markets. Christmas came early last week when I received a large box of a variety of turkey lunch meats, the sweet Organic Apple and Wildflower Honey Chicken Sausage, Organic Sriracha Jalapeno Chicken Sausage, and Organic Uncured All Beef Hot Dogs all for my taste testing pleasure. I was in hog heaven with all these sausage and hot dog choices. Both are favorite choices of mine. I can feel a little better eating these chicken sausages and all grass-fed beef hot dogs because they’re nitrate free, organic, and high quality meats.
True Story Foods uses smaller family farmers/ranches for their meats, they promote sustainable agriculture, and choose grass fed and open-range animals. All of these practices I can firmly stand behind. Besides, their prices are not outrageous for the quality you’re getting!
On to the healthy food recipe which is great for fitness lovers. The whole point of this challenge was to make a recipe for July Madness. Since July Madness runs nearly all month long, and nearly all day long, I thought I’d as for a recipe from a fitness team the whole family would enjoy while watching their favorite team play. This delicious and easy pasta dish takes just 30 minutes, and is chalk full with delicious sausage, nourishing grains, and fresh and seasonal vegetables. It’s flavorful enough to entice the whole family.
I think I’ll make this easy dish once again when my lone team, Gonzaga, plays again on Friday.
Easy Apple Wildflower Honey Sausage Spring Veggie Pasta
This delicious and sweet chicken sausage is the perfect addition to your easy veggie pasta for dinner!
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 4 links True Story Apple and Wildflower Honey Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Spray cast iron skillet with cooking spray
- Sautee onions and garlic until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour olive oil over onions and garlic
- Add asparagus to onions and garlic, cook until softened and bright green.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- Add pasta once water is to a rolling boil, cook until al dente. About 8-10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, save about 1 cup for later.
- Pan fry sausage in leftover sauce from veggies. Add water to deglaze part way through heating.
- Add all ingredients, add leftover pasta water and cook until thickened.
- Add lime juice, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese after pasta sauce has thickened.